- Increasing the robustness of a component
- Reducing waiting times for parts
- Reducing production costs
- Increased strength – aluminium replaced by stainless steel
- Reduced weight by 9%
- Reduction in waiting time from 5 weeks to 5 days
- Cost reduction of 30%
- 3D printing in stainless steel using LPBF technology
- Aluminium machining (CNC)
The Spes3D engineering team took on the challenge and started the gauge design process. We started the work by analysing and selecting the appropriate manufacturing technologies – 3D printing from stainless steel using LPBF technology and cutting aluminium on a simple 3-axis CNC machine. We then tackled the optimisation of the 3D model of the tool, where we focused on exploiting the possibilities offered by 3D printing – the ease of producing complex geometries, the speed of making low-volume and personalised parts without the need to retool the machine.
By leveraging these features, we achieved a number of benefits for our client.